School Closings and Delays
There may be times when the weather will cause schools to have a delayed opening, or close for
the day. These decisions will generally be made by 5:30 am. All delays and closings will be posted
on the District’s website at www.southcountry.org and the District will place a phone call through
Connect-Ed to your home or cell phone notifying you. Please ensure that your contact information
is kept current and up to date. If you move, change jobs, or obtain a new phone number, please be
sure to provide your child's school with the new contact information to avoid missing a Connect-ED
The information will also be broadcast on the following stations:
WALK 97.5 FM WBAB 102.3 FM WBZO 103.1 FM
WRCN 103.9 FM WBLI 106.1 FM Channel 12 News
2-Hour Delayed Opening
First and foremost, student and staff safety is our greatest concern in bad weather. A delayed
opening will give local authorities additional time to clear the roadways, give our staff additional
time to prepare our schools, and allow students and staff additional time to get to school safely.
In the event of a 2 hour delay:
- Students should plan to be at their bus stop or school two hours later than their normal
schedule. All school start times and bus pick-up times for students will be delayed 2 hours.
- Staff should arrive as soon as possible. Please be sure to use caution during your commute
and plan to arrive to your building as soon as possible and within the 2 hour time delay.
- AM Pre-K at Brookhaven will be cancelled.
- PM Pre-K and the PM Alternative Program at Bellport High School will run at their normal schedule without delay.
Early Dismissal Procedure
In the event the District needs to begin to dismiss students early, we will follow the following
- Bellport High School will dismiss 30 minutes early.
- Bellport Middle School and Frank P. Long will dismiss about 15 minutes early.
- Brookhaven, Verne W. Critz, and Kreamer Street will dismiss at about their
regularly scheduled times.
This procedure will get our older students to their destination sooner than they would normally
arrive and get our youngest students to their destination at or about their normal arrival time.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.